Hello World :)

Welcome to Raquel N' Roll!

A person once told me that if I have to explain the joke, the joke is in fact, not funny. As an extremely humorous person, a person who laug...

Friday, August 24, 2012

The Goat Days of Summer

So it appears I have not "blogged" in awhile.  I'm terribly apologetic, Blogger.
I truly am.
I'm sure you want to know all about my summer working on a dairy goat farm, selling goat's milk soap, cooking gourmet meals, succeeding at baking bread (cinnamon bread, that is), failing at hiking the Hollywood sign, becoming slightly addicted to The Pioneer Woman, and finding time for the little things in life.

Like cappuccinos.
And fondant.
And detox drinks.
Oh, and bacon wrapped steak.

Mmm bacon...

I think I just proved my point as to why I haven't been blogging.  BUT since I have wonderful free time at the moment, I shall continue to write, err type about...
Raquel Missbrenner's

Gourmet Soapy Detoxing 
Bacon Wrapped Goat Milk Bread Summer!


Yeah, we'll call it that.


Goats, Soap, and Dogs.

Being an overachiever, I attempted to plunge myself into the corporate world.
Meaning, I wanted a job. Who doesn't want money, right?

Well, searching for a job was hard, not going to lie, but I didn't expect it to be a cake walk neither. After about a month's worth of throwing applications into any job I could find (or that was hiring), my goat breeder contacts me.
That's correct.
Goat breeder.

Background info: My senior year in high school, I raised two dairy goats for my FFA project. My school had never raised dairy goats until I determinedly found a breeder by the name of Diana McCambridge; conveniently located an hour south of me in Riverside.

May 7th, 2011 with "Push My Buttons" aka Buttons
I wasn't kidding when I said I raised dairy goats.  Kidding.  Get it?
 Anyway, she contacts me asking if I would like to work for her soap business.  I'm thinking heck ya!!!  My first job being somewhat of a dream job??  Man, I am lucky.  My job consisted of milking the goats 2x a day, cutting and labeling soap, taking care of the social network pages such as Facebook, Twitter, and the Website, and going to the local Farmer's Markets to help sell the soap.
Best summer of my life so far.  Not only did I learn business and website skills, but I learned how to change a tire on a car, how to cook fish, how to whelp puppies, and how to make detox drinks.
As far as the soap goes, here's my two cents:
Camlon Farm's handmade goat milk soap is all natural, olive oil based, and made with fresh goat's milk (I milk the goats!).  We have many different scents from Oatmeal, Milk, & Honey, to more invigorating scents such as Rosemary with Coffee Grounds (my FAVORITE).  We do flat rate shipping if you are unable to see us at Riverside and Irvine Farmer's Markets.  Like us on Facebook!
Another awesome thing about working for Camlon Farms is their Scotland Terriers!
They have four wheaten colored Scotties.  Oh the life of a dog.

Meet Red.  He is my favorite!
  Gourmet Cooking and Boyfriends.

I don't know about you, but I love to cook.  When I say, err type "love" I mean LOVE to cook.  Love as in how a horse loves hay or how a chicken loves watermelon rinds.  Not love as in a car loves gas.  A car needs gas.  There's a difference.  Trust me.

White Cupcakes with white buttercream frosting.  Boxed stuff?  Heck no.

Cinnamon Bread.  Butter, cinnamon, and sugar.  In BREAD form.  What else could you want?  Pioneer Woman inspired <3 

I've always been a baker because I love my sweets (but I don't need them).  I have my dear Oma to thank for that.  She taught me all the tricks about baking.  I could never bake breads and sweets as good as her, but it's in the process.
I like to bake cookies, muffins, cakes, scones, breads, bars, cobblers, no-bake pies... so I thought I'd try my  hand at cooking.  I mean, I watch shows like Hell's Kitchen and Jacques Pépin enough to understand the adrenaline rush one gets while one works his/her magic.  
I'd consider it magic, yes.

I've been cooking like mad.  It's like an addiction.  Even when I'm not hungry, I'll cook up something.  Just to see if I can do it.  And I can.  So my dad has a lunch for tomorrow.  He's happy about that.  No complaints, and I keep on cooking.  I love bringing joy to people's tummies.  And mine too.

One day, my boyfriend said he'd make me dinner.  
Huh?
It was a little strange to hear these words from him, not because I don't doubt his cooking ability (Eagle Scout, I'm safe) but because I'm not used to receiving gestures.  But anywho, I was excited to see what he had in the kitchen for me. 
Sadly, I don't have any pictures, but he made me a SCRUMPTIOUS Chicken Parmesan!  He must had known Italian is my favorite food... I wonder if it was me always glorifying how pasta and bread can bring world peace...  
He started dinner off with a nice romaine salad with bell peppers and ended it with a moist breaded chicken breast over a bed of hot, steamy spaghetti pasta.  Delicious, scrumptious, mouth-watering, decadence, bliss, love...

I'm telling you right now:  Hands off.  
He's mine ladies :)

We wanted to make dinner again, but this time, together.  First ingredient:  meat.  
Of course, right?  
"I am man, I eat MEAT"
Not exactly in those words, I'm just plain' around.

But I told him he'd take charge of the steak and potatoes (I'm not joking about this) because I would be in charge of the sautéing station (Hell's Kitchen reference...).
We had broiled sirloin steak with mashed potatoes and sauteed mushrooms, peppers and onions.

Here's what it looked like... 

Bacon wrapped.  Ohhhh yeaaa.  Just looking at this blocks my heart valves...
 BUT I'M LETTING YOU KNOW RIGHT NOW THAT THIS WAS ALMOST ONE OF THE BEST STEAKS I'VE EVER TASTED!!!

But I'm also letting you know right now that I won't be doing this again for awhile.  
The saturated fat content freaks me out.


Don't these peppers and mushrooms look healthy?  So pretty to look at too!
     Some of my other food adventures include:



Cinnamon-Sugar Almonds! About half were gone after they were made...




Scottie Sugar Cookies! Yup, this recipe called for fondant and this recipe was a SUCCESS! These were made for Diana and her partner Debbie because one of their dogs, Boo, had a litter of 4 puppies! Congrats Boo!

 The Case of the Hidden Hollywood Sign.

My girlfriends and I decided one of the things we have to do in LA is hike the Hollywood sign. Once I heard the word "hike", they didn't have to say any more.
It was a tuesday during the month of July. A warm breeze picked up just after 8 in the morning. I knew it was going to be a hot day (or Channel 5 told me so). I filled my tummy with eggs and toast and set off to pick up my friends for this grand adventure through the mysterious city of LA. We drive at snail's pace on the 605, we crawl past Sunset Blvd, and we finally find ourselves at the base of the famous Hollywood Hills.
"Look! There it is!"
"Woooow!"
"I need to find parking..."

After a tiring and a monotonous hour and a half of searching for those danged parking spots, we are finally redirected to a route where no car has gone before. We followed the dirt path to where the sound of stabled horses can be heard and to where the beginning of the trail to the sign lies. By now, it was a hot 90 degrees. The elements were challenging us...and they were winning.


Me, Raenicia, Serina
Needless to say, we got this close to the sign.
We happened to pick the "perfect" day to hike.  So we intervened:




We went to Millions of Milkshakes, so named for their famous "Million Dollar Milkshake" (it's not really a million dollars, in case you were wondering).  It was good for a hot day.  Otherwise, it was just flavored overpriced slush in a cup.  My opinion, anyway.


Pioneer Woman in my Kitchen.

Her name is Ree Drummond.  And she is amazing.  She lives on a cattle ranch in Oklahoma, is married to a cowboy, and has 3 beautiful children.  Ad best of all, she loves to cook and entertain!  I recently became hooked to her show on Food Network.  Now, I follow her blog and her recipes!  
I don't know if it's the lifestyle she lives that enthuses me, or the fact that she uses generous amounts of butter in her cooking, or the fact that she looooves food as much as I do but knows she can't eat everything she makes (like me!).  I've used several of her recipes in the past week and they have been a hit with my family!  I've tried her Chicken Florentine Pasta, Beef with Peppers, and Cinnamon Bread!  
All of which were VERY tasty and EASY to make!  If you like to cook, that is.

Visit her website!  She's so funny too...and pretty, and classy, and...well yeah I admire her :)



Enjoying Coffee With My Friends.


Ahh coffee.  Whoever invented coffee is heaven sent.  I mean, just think about it.  When you wake up in the morning and the first aroma to reach your nose is freshly brewed coffee waiting to be poured into your favorite mug with just the right amount of sugar and cream.  Or when you need a pick me up in the afternoon after a busy morning.  Just that warm cup of hot, delicious coffee in your hand and all that matters is nothing.  

Coffee.  

What can't it do?

I know it can't sing or dance or pay bills, but you're missing the point here...

About a week ago, one of my best friends (since Kindergarten) and I decided to have a coffee date.  She currently attends UC Merced and she wanted to get together before she has to leave for school.  What other way than to spend time with good company?  AND coffee?
We ended up strolling downtown Fullerton admiring the bars as they started to prepare for the night's actions.  We ate and talked over lunch at the Green Bliss Cafe.  It is a vegan/organic cafe and my gosh, they were delicious!  My kinda food (I'm not vegan, heavens no!).  After we sat and talked for a couple hours, we ventured down Harbor Street and meandered the shops that carried vintage clothing and we window shopped the boutiques where we both vowed one day we will be rich enough to shop in.  After all, we both go to college, therefore, we will be rich.  Right?

Next, we stumbled upon another little cafe-type place called The Night Owl.  We both decided the afternoon called for a little caffeine and so, we both walk in to this quiet but welcoming little cafe.  Sandra ordered a Hazelnut Latte and I ordered a Caramel Cappuccino.
Now some Coffee 101 for you:

The Latte
Espresso with steamed milk and a small amount of foam.

The Cappuccino
Consists of espresso, part steamed milk, and part foam. 
A "wet" cappuccino contains more steamed milk for a creamier drink. 
A "dry" cappuccino contains more foam, which creates a more intense espresso flavor.

In case you were wondering, I ordered mine "wet".Also, in case you were wondering, mine was sooooooo gooooood!
Sandra enjoyed hers as well.  

The "Owl mug", a cute amenity that I find very appropriate for this cafe, which happens to be titled "The Night Owl" Cafe.  

Front:  My Caramel Cappuccino, topped with a drizzle of caramel and I added some nutmeg.  What?  I like nutmeg sprinkled on my coffee as if I'm some sort of classy/fancy girl...
Well, that marks the end of this blog entry.  No, that wasn't my whole summer and yes, I cheated you all out of an amazing weekly blog update and no, don't expect a weekly blog update :)
Didn't your mother ever tell you to be thankful for what you are given?  
My momma sure did ;)  
(if you're reading this mom, and I'm sure you are, I LOVE YOU THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS MUCH)

I start school on the 18th of September, but I move back into beautiful San Luis Obispo on the 14th.  
Here's to my 2nd year at Cal Poly SLO.
I can drink to that!
COFFEE, of course.
;)

Love, Raquel

   

3 comments:

  1. very nice writing!!!!

    Auntie and Nino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great entry cousin! Can't wait to hear more!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are there so many goats??? It's scary!

    ReplyDelete